Overview of Shudo

The History of Shudo

The Establishment of Shudo


The 7th Feudal Lord, Shigeakira Asano
The 7th Feudal Lord, Shigeakira Asano

1725(Kyoho, Year 10)

4th of NovThe 5th Feudal Lord of the Hiroshima Clan, Yoshinaga Asano, establishes a lecture hall in Hakushima. Confucian Scholar Rinsen Terada is appointed to the position of principal. The aim of the lecture hall is to demonstrate the ‘3 Rules of Learning’. [The Founding of the Hiroshima Clan School; The History of Annual Foundation Day Celebrations]

1734(Kyoho, Year 19)

DecThe lecture hall is redesignated as a school.

1743(Kampo, Year 3)

OctFunding for the school is temporarily suspended due to difficult economic times.

1782(Tenmei, Year 2)

FebThe 7th Feudal Lord, Shigeakira Asano, reopens a school in the outer courtyard of Hiroshima Castle.

Shudo Restoration Benefactor


Yokichi Yamada (Jitchiku)
Yokichi Yamada (Jitchiku)

1863(Bunkyu, Year 3)

Yokichi Yamada, also known as Jitchiku, is appointed headmaster.

1870(Meiji, Year 3)

AugAs part of education reforms, the school is moved from the site of the castle equestrian facilities to a new school house [The Origin of Shudo Gakuen] which takes up the name ‘Shudo’, or ‘The Path to Mastery’.

1871(Meiji, Year 4)

Japan’s feudal domains are dissolved and prefectures are established.

The Commencement of Shudo Private School


The 12th Lord Nagakoto Asano
The 12th Lord Nagakoto Asano

1878(Meiji, Year 11)

JunThe 12th Lord Nagakoto Asano establishes Asano Private School at the site of his fountain courtyard [The Continuation of Shudo].

1881(Meiji, Year 14)

NovThe school is reformed and officially renamed Shudo, with Yokichi Yamada (Jitchiku) appointed principal.

1886(Meiji, Year 19)

AprYokichi Yamada (Jitchiku) hands over school operations of Shudo to the Asano family while he continues private lessons from his residence.

Shudo Middle School in the Old-Education-System


Meiji Era Takeya-cho Schoolhouse
Meiji Era Takeya-cho Schoolhouse

  • 1905(Meiji, Year 38)

    AprRetsu Mizuyama establishes the Shudo Private Junior High School Foundation. Retsu Mizuyama appointed first principal.

  • 1907(Meiji, Year 40)

    JanShudo Junior High School is relocated to the Minami Takeya neighborhood district.

  • 1926(Taisho, Year 15)

    MarShudo Junior High School is relocated to the Minami Senda neighborhood district, the site of its present day location.

  • 1938(Showa, Year 13)

    NovThe keidoukan (Japanese traditional sports center) is built. A bronze statue of Yokichi Yamada (Jitchiku) is erected. Shudo celebrates its 200th year anniversary.

Post A-bomb Reconstruction


A-bomb Victim Memorial Cenotaph
A-bomb Victim Memorial Cenotaph

1945(Showa, Year 20)

AugThe Atomic Bomb severely damages the school.

1947(Showa, Year 22)

AprPost-war education reforms made [Present day Shudo Elementary School].

1948(Showa, Year 23)

MayShudo High School is established.

1957(Showa, Year 32)

NovPublication covering Shudo Gakuen’s 233rd anniversary and Shudo Private School’s 80th anniversary celebrations released [The History of Shudo].

Inheritance of Shudo Tradition


Former School Buildings
Former School Buildings

1978(Showa, Year 53)

OctPublication covering Shudo Gakuen’s 253rd anniversary and Shudo Private School’s 100th anniversary celebrations released [The History of Shudo]. The Main Building, Gymnasium, and other new buildings are constructed. Also, existing buildings undergo major renovations in separate phases of construction.

1995(Heisei, Year 7)

AprA five day school week is implemented, with two Saturdays off each month.

AugMemorial ceremony held to pay respects to those lost during the Atomic Bombing 50 years earlier. Master Painter Ikuo Hirayama presents the painting “The Atomic Bomb Dome” to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII.

New Building Construction Phase


Current School Buildings / Promenade
Current School Buildings / Promenade

1999(Heisei, Year 11)

NovConstruction of new school buildings begins.

2000(Heisei, Year 12)

JulConstruction of the North Building is completed [1st Phase].

2001(Heisei, Year 13)

JulConstruction of the West Wing of the South Building is completed [2nd Phase].

2002(Heisei, Year 14)

JulConstruction of the East Wing of the South Building is completed [3rd Phase].

2003(Heisei, Year 15)

MarConstruction of the new keidoukan is completed [4th Phase]. Apr : A weekly school uniform policy goes into effect.

MayConstruction work on the Tennis Court, Ball Games Court, and Japanese Archery Field is completed [4th Phase].

AugRenovations of the School Ground completed [4th Phase]. Sep : Master Painter Ikuo Hirayama’s original woodblock print “Glimmer of Hope, Aki’s Little Fuji” is presented by his graduating class and displayed in the Main Lobby.

Shudo’s Leap to the Future


Current School Buildings / Turf Ground
Current School Buildings / Turf Ground

  • 2008(Heisei, Year 20)

    AugSeismic retrofitting of the Main Lobby is completed.

  • 2010(Heisei, Year 22)

    MarConstruction of the Main Arena is completed.

  • 2011(Heisei, Year 23)

    AprThe story on the life and times of Yokichi Yamada (Jitchiku) is published.

  • 2012(Heisei, Year 24)

    AprThe relocation and restoration of the original castle depository, where Shudo education originated, commences.

    NovA revised edition on the life and times of Yokichi Yamada (Jitchiku), one of Shudo’s founding fathers, is published.

  • 2013(Heisei, Year 25)

    SepThe School Ground is converted to artificial turf, The Ball Games Court undergoes renovations.

  • 2014(Heisei, Year 26)

    AugThe restoration of the castle depository from Hiroshima Castle is completed.